Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Into Africa: Appendix

And now, the last of the photos (these are from the 35mm camera), because you can never get enough of our African Safari trip, right?


Right??!??



Some of these are second looks at our more memorable sights- like the teenaged elephants (remember them?) who were so entertaining. Here they are closer...



...and the lions (this is his 'before mating' saunter)...















...and the giraffes whose romantic plans were interrupted by galumphing impala...
















This is the family of elephants we watched bathing, then dusting themselves off with Botswana Dust dusting powder...



At one point, during our driving tour in Chobe National Park, we sat and watched a troop of baboons for quite a while. This guy (a youngish/teen type) was by turns bold and skitterish. I snapped this just before he scampered off, tripped over one hand and hit the dirt head first, rolling off into the bush. Cooper says he would buy this if it was a postcard. High praise indeed!















This tilty picture is a herd of Cape Buffalo- they will apparently give a Cheetah a good fight when attacked, but are not dangerous unless you find one alone- then they get very aggressive. Note the baby in the front center (and ignore the tilt- my 13 year old scanner assistant wasn't exactly careful loading all the photos in a straight manner).











And last but not least- HIPPOS!!! My sister has informed me that she would have had a hard time keeping a straight face if she had to inform people that I had been eaten by a hippo. Apparently she doesn't grasp the great danger I was in, practically daily. ;-) As you can see from these photos, they were stalking me and only the fact that I was always on my toes allowed me to live to tell this tale.




This concludes your tour of African wildlife. Hope you enjoyed the ride- we sure did!